Goals & Priorities
Goals (2010 – 2015)
- Enable children who live in poverty to succeed in school and break the poverty cycle.
- Reduce the incidence of teenage pregnancy by enhancing youth programs that prevent pregnancy and improve well-being.
- Develop services that enable young parents to continue their education and achieve adequate incomes.
- Help single parents get into the workforce and off social assistance.
- Help ‘at risk’ teens and young adults complete their high school education, be ready for post-secondary pursuits and the workforce.
- Promote solutions to the lack of adequate and affordable housing in Saint John, the need for mixed income neighbourhoods, and the regeneration of priority neighbourhoods.
- Help others understand poverty, how it can be reduced and prevented, what is working in Saint John, and BCAPI’s ‘catalyst’ role.
- Facilitate a community-led and comprehensive approach to poverty reduction that involves all sectors of the community.
- Foster the continued growth of BCAPI.
Poverty Reduction Priorities
- Early Learning Centres for low-income neighbourhoods.
- PALS (Partners Assisting Local Schools) and Community Schools in priority neighbourhoods.
- Quality, accessible after school programs for children and youth.
- Improved Education & Employment pathways for ‘at risk’ teens and young adults.
- First Steps – a comprehensive program for young moms and their babies.
- Addition of 100 affordable housing units, annually.
- Revitalization of low income neighbourhoods.
- NB Poverty Reduction Plan.